Sunday, April 5, 2009

James - Capello's Got It Right

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05042009/4/james-capello-s-right.html
Sun 05 Apr, 12:09 PM

David James acknowledges Fabio Capello's strict regime has been justified by the success England are now enjoying.

Capello has laid down a number of guidelines since taking over from Steve McClaren as England boss with an emphasis on discipline and team bonding.

Far from being an assortment of individuals, England have become unified and the national team now head their World Cup qualifying group with a 100% record after five games.

England goalkeeper James, who has managerial ambitions himself, admits the stricter approach has reaped rewards.

He told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "There are rules and regulations which are testing and I don't mean that in a bad way.

"He obviously knows what the winning formula is with regards to preparation and that includes a lot of downtime in the hotel.

"But ultimately it is the end performance that counts.

"We've just had two victories and a justification for everything that went on beforehand."

The former Liverpool and Aston Villa keeper added: "As far as planning goes I would not fault either of the previous two managers.

"We always knew what we were going to do. But it's a very Italian style which I believe Mr Capello enforces.

"People mention the fact the whole team sit down for a meal and won't leave until the last person has finished which is good, it is respect for everyone else at the table in the team.

"It is a little rule which at first you question but in practice it proves to bond the team."

The 38-year-old denies he has been put off management by the fate of his former boss Tony Adams who was sacked after little more than three months at the helm at Fratton Park.

"The situation at Portsmouth was that we needed the change," James continued.

"As with the England manager's situation, it is down to the individual to create that team, that ethos within a club and I would like to think after I have done my badges and get myself into that position that structurally the foundation I would set would be one that would be beneficial to the team I took over.

"I can't be put off by it because until I've done it I won't know what it feels like."

More news from SportingLife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment